There are good employees in every dental practice, but why be a “good” dental staff member when you can be considered an “indispensable” team member? To become valuable and not just a barely noticed employee within the dental practice, consider making some improvements to become a frontrunner in your dental office. You could be the person consulted concerning important decisions and asked for advice from your co-workers. If this is something you would like to be and strive to become, read below for some ways to become a more valuable staff member in your dental practice.
The following are some of the characteristics a dentist or hiring manager look for in an invaluable employee or team member:
- Punctuality – Try your very hardest to always be on time for work. This shows that you are committed to the team and you take your position there seriously. This is always appreciated.
- Dress for Success – Follow the office guidelines when dressing for work. Make sure your clothing is clean, pressed, and work-appropriate every day.
- Trustworthiness – Your dentist or office manager should be able to trust you with the information you need regarding each patient. The information should be kept in the dental office and not passed to anyone outside the practice.
- Positivity – Be a positive co-worker to be around. Smile, be polite, and use good managers not only with your co-workers, but also with dentists, managers, and patients. Do not complain about the office or your position or gossip about personal information with anyone.
- Accountability – When you are assigned a task on the job, the dentist or manager should have faith it will be completed in a timely manner. They should not have to check back with you to make sure it has been completed, but check it off their list as done.
- Honesty – Be honest with the dentist, co-workers, and managers at your workplace. This characteristic is very important for success and much appreciated.
- Team member – When employed in a dental office, you must be able to get along and work alongside others. You can show your leadership qualities by helping out other co-workers to complete an assignment for the good of all.
- Careful Listener – Be sure to listen and understand instructions in the workplace. Ask questions if you miss something. In this way, you will always be able to complete your tasks well.
- Instructable – Accept your mistakes graciously and be willing to learn from them. Correct what is required. You will learn and grow as a professional.
- Good attitude – Everyone enjoys working around a cheerful person. This makes the workplace enjoyable and tends to increase productivity.
- Motivated – Someone always open to trying or learning something new for improvement.
Be Valued at Your Workplace
In a larger work environment, sometimes great qualities of a single employee go unnoticed. They tend to be included with the team they work with as a whole. Let’s discuss below some ways you can make yourself stand out among the rest of the dental team.
Update Your Skills
Always find opportunities to advance your work knowledge through continuing education. You will be on top of the newest technology, and eventually, become an expert in your field.
Try to create new and easier ways to accomplish office tasks to keep things fresh and new. If there is a problem which is hard to solve, try to think of the most innovative way to solve it.
Always be willing to come up with ways you can assist with helping get work done faster and more efficiently.
This makes you a part of the team!
Do not stand back when there is a problem to be solved in the workplace. Jump in and try to come up with solutions, and pass them along to your manager. Don’t be afraid.
Notice Good Work and Give Appreciation
When one of your co-workers or managers come up with a good answer to a problem or situation, be the one to thank them and offer them your appreciation. This will prove you are a true team player!
Avoid These as an Employee
Just as there are things which stand out among the crowd to make you a great employee, there are things you should not do or you will be dispensable. Never gossip about others or situations in the workplace. This will prove you untrustworthy and lead to your self-destruction eventually.
When you are instructed to complete a task, do not procrastinate. Getting your tasks done on time will enhance your credibility in the workplace. Use your break time for such things as personal phone calls or things that will disturb or distract your co-workers. This will help with the productivity of the day.
Do not make excuses to try to avoid tasks needing to be accomplished. If a co-worker is having an issue or needs help with a task, be ready and willing to offer your assistance. This makes you someone the other employees like to have around.
Some of the items discussed in this article may seem small to some, but these are basic things which will help you become a more trusted and valuable worker. Your involvement and interest in your job will help you stand out in any size organization.
Let Strategic Practice Solutions Dental Staffing assist you in maximizing your production and/or profitability and minimize any headaches you may encounter in managing your practice. We understand and can assist you in finding the right talent, which will enhance the performance of your dental practice. Contact us today!